Vision, Mission and Values
- Our vision is that every person will have healthcare and access to all of the services needed to support healthy living in the community.
- Our mission is to improve the health of children, families and seniors by providing access to care through health insurance enrollment, patient education and advocacy.
- Our values are trust, dedication, collaboration and diversity
Children’s Health Initiative established
Expanded services to all age groups due to Affordable Care Act (ACA)
Name change from Children’s Health Initiative to Community Health Initiative
Expansion to Solano, Santa Clara and Los Angeles
- Community Health Initiative, formerly Children’s Health Initiative, (CHI) was established in Napa County in 2005 to provide a county-wide mechanism for increasing the number of insured children through a coordinated outreach, enrollment and retention effort designated to improve families’ participation in health coverage programs. Since our founding in 2005, we have addressed systemic challenges with access to healthcare, both locally and statewide. Similarly, we have provided a health safety net for low-income families through insurance enrollment and follow-up.
- Due to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), we expanded our services in January 2013 to serve all ages including, young adults, adults and seniors. The comprehensive health care law reform provided us an opportunity to restructure our agency, resulting in a name change from Children’s Health Initiative to Community Health Initiative in 2015.
- Collaborations with partner agencies, health care centers, school districts, community colleges, adult education, workforce, health and human services and businesses have allowed us to bridge health insurance gaps in our communities. We have skilled and licensed bilingual and bicultural staff who mirror the community’s needs and assist in accessing the services.
- Due to the success our organization has had in Napa, other communities have requested our services. In 2021 we expanded our work to 3 other counties; Solano, Santa Clara and Los Angeles. CHI serves over 23,000 individuals across the four-county areas that we serve. Our team grew from 10 employees to approximately 50! We are proud of the work that we do. Every day we help people find resources, get treatment for chronic illnesses, save healthcare costs, prevent disease and improve economic stability.
- CHI is a leader and innovator in addressing barriers to healthcare access, especially among the vibrant immigrant communities that we serve. CHI staff have developed innovative outreach methods, educated professional partners and community members about issues impeding access (such as immigration policies), created curricula now used statewide and participated in many pilot programs. CHI is an active participant in the statewide association of similar organizations to advocate for expanded healthcare coverage and to develop best practices.